Check Out Home | stix-n-stitches | Iggy's Place | About

On May 25, I received a phone call from my mom upset that our beloved family dog Willa Blake was dying. In high school I found Blake as a three month old black Lab mix at St. Hubert's Giralda in Madison. She was shy and my dad described her as having a "rat's tail". I loved her immediately and convinced my parent's we should adopt her. Blake got her name from my favorite poet at the time William Blake.

When she was four years old, a truck barreled through our street as a shortcut and hit Blake. My parents (I was away at college) rushed her to the Animal Emergency Services. Blake survived and developed arthritis in the back leg that was broken as a result of the hit and run. However, this never stopped her from jumping on the divider, between our house and the neighbor's, and inciting their three hunting dogs from barking everyday. We only realized she did this intentionally when we saw her prancing back and forth until they started barking.

Blake recently enjoyed retirement life on Lake S. After fourteen years of actively instigating the neighbor's dogs, frisbee, stealing chicken from the Christmas dinner table, and overcoming a serious battle with obsssessive compulsive disorder (with the tennis ball) she moved with my parents to a lake house. Days were filled with riding on a boat and extended naps, and nights were filled with extended naps and occasional forays into the neighbors yards.

Blake was accompanied to Animal Emergency Services and at 11:25 found her forever home. Although, we are saddened by her passing away, we know that she had fifteen years of running, fetching, and general mischieveness that made our lives richer by her presence.

11 threads:

At 8:08 AM Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. But it definitely sounds like Blake had a wonderful life.

 
At 9:29 AM Ina said...

Sorry about your dog. What a character she was!

 
At 10:11 AM Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. I'm glad Blake was so well loved by you and your family and had such a fun and happy life.

 
At 10:28 AM sunneshine said...

I am so sorry!! How lucky that you and Blake found each other and created so much love and joy for each other!

 
At 1:33 PM Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your pup. I'm glad you had such a long time with her, though. The memories are always comforting, though they can be extremely painful at first.

 
At 3:47 PM Midnight Purls said...

I'm so sorry. Losing a pet is just like losing a family member. Hugs.

 
At 5:01 PM --Deb said...

I am so sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences....

 
At 10:39 AM Deborah said...

What a sweet ob you write for your dog. Your parents were lovely to look after her, not many of us had the same good fortune.

 
At 7:39 PM Sonya said...

She had been a member of your family for a long time. It is so hard to lose them.
Sounds to me like she had a life full of love and doggy fun.

 
At 10:11 PM C+SK said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh you are right, Blake had a wonderful life, filled with love! It still is sad, and I send you and your parents a big tight hug!!!

 
At 4:08 PM CynCyn said...

So sorry for your loss. They say that pets have such short lives as a kindness to us humans... b/c imagine how much more it would hurt if they lived 30-40 yrs? It sounds like Blake enjoyed every second of her life since you rescued her, and is now enjoying an arthritis free, someone will throw the tennis ball as long as I want, in doggy heaven

 

Post a Comment