Check Out Home | stix-n-stitches | Iggy's Place | About


Ok, so what's up with the photo?

Yes, DH and I have been discussing making an addition to our household for a long time now and with very much consideration of the existing homeowners (you know we don't own our house, the cats do, we just pay the mortgage) we are taking a leap.

What was on our list of priorities?
-Medium sized
-Good with cats
-Good Temperament
-A mutt (we like mutts!)
-A Female (just our personal preference)

The next stages has been investigating different animals, organizations, talking to our vet, discussing it with each other, and the other night I found a dog I thought was adorable. So, we ran over to Terry's Pet Depot in Parsippany for the Orphaned Pets Adoption Day this morning. Sadly, the dog we met didn't meet our requirements. But, I noticed this cutie happily wagging her tail and greeting people.

Her existing name is Layla. She is 1 year old mutt (I have no idea what her mix is) that recently had puppies (they didn't survive) who migrated here from Kentucky. She is happy, hyper, and friendly. She has a striking resemblance to Blake our family dog who is a black lab mix. She is not in our residence as we are preparing for her arrival as well as worring about integrating a dog into a cat household. Right now, her stay will be on a trial basis, but we think it will work out for the best.

Here's the deal. We are not fans of her name. So, I am going to run a contest (as suggested by DH). I will run the contest until April 1st. Oh here it is, we need a new name. You can make a suggestion in the comments section, you can make more than one, and if selected you will win a prize. I don't know what the prize will be, but it will be good. DH and I will pick the winner. BTW, if we don't use any of the names, we will still pick a winner.

Hints: We like names after famous people. Blake is named after William Blake (the poet). Our cats are, Billie (after Billie Holiday), Ninna (after Nina Simone), Izzy (after Izzy Stradlin and he acts like a rock star), Churchill (after Winston Churchill), and Ella (after Ella Fitzgerald).

Ok- start suggesting!

FYI: In case you haven't heard a lot of pet food has been recalled as it is causing liver failure. Here is a link to find out the name brands recalled.
Posted by Picasa

19 threads:

At 10:28 AM --Deb said...

Oh, what a cute little girl! Let me think . . . Loretta? For Loretta Lynn, the coal-miner's daughter, because wasn't she from KY, and you know how coal-dust can make things black. And it starts with the same sound as Layla, to catch her attention....

Really, though, I just wanted to say congratulations! You know I can't resist a cute doggie face.

 
At 4:12 PM CynCyn said...

Woolfie for V. Woolf? I like the word play (not that she looks like a wolf, but whatever).

Sylvia (Plath).
And ha ha, it would be funny if you named her Catherine (after Catherine the Great) and nicknamed her "Cat." Won't your houseguests be confused when you call for "Cat" and the one DOG comes running?

 
At 10:04 PM Anonymous said...

My name suggestion is EZ (after you who). But I like Deb's better. Loretta rocks! In fact, I'm seconding that name. What a sweet sweet puppy!
Good luck.

 
At 10:32 PM Knittymama said...

I'd stick with the leading ladies of jazz...how about Sarah, for Sarah Vaughn? Or Cass, for Cassandra Wilson?

She's so cute!!

 
At 11:12 PM bookgrump said...

Let's see... Energetic black woman... How about Whoopi (Goldberg)?

 
At 11:39 PM aruni said...

I'd go with Ella--a little nicer than Layla, and evokes another classy lady.

Loretta's a great suggestion!

 
At 8:19 AM C+SK said...

Frieda? ;-)

 
At 11:18 AM Alexis said...

How about Patsy (Cline)?

 
At 11:56 AM Tangledbleus said...

How about Grace? A la Grace Slick...one totally rockin' lady who happens to have dark hair..

 
At 5:53 PM Anonymous said...

Frankie (Frank Sinatra, but maybe she won't mind?)
Wanda (Sykes)
Dolly (Madison)
and....
Siouxie (& the Banshees, not really famous, but maybe you're looking to go a little obscure. Tee hee.)

 
At 1:05 AM IrishGirlieKnits said...

She is too cute! Sounds like she is a little survivor already....how about Maya...for Maya Angelou (one of my favorite writers!) or Toni (for Toni Morrison another wonderful African-AMerican author). I have to say I do love the already suggested Loretta Lynn....and her nickname could be Lynnie!! Too cute

 
At 11:14 AM Anonymous said...

how about chrissie for chrissie hynde of the pretenders?

 
At 11:27 AM Unknown said...

This isn't a famous name or anything, but it is what my 13 year old wants to name her dog (the one she will NOT be getting . . . my hubby is very allergic to everything). So the name is up for grabs.

Anyway, she wants to name the dog "Puter" so that when she needs it she would be able to yell: Come Puter

 
At 1:18 PM Cece said...

Etta? For Etta James? Or Nora...Nora Jones. Macy (Macy Grey), Janis (Janis Joplin), Fiona (Fiona Apple)....

Thos are all my fav girl singer names....

 
At 10:04 AM Jen said...

My vote it Ginger. She just looks like a Ginger to me.

 
At 3:40 PM Netter said...

Zora, after Zora Neale Hurston, or Zelda, after Zelda Fitzgerald

 
At 5:33 PM aruni said...

I just re-read your post and didn't realize your cat's name is Ella! In that case, I amend my suggestion to Lena, for Lena Horne. :)

 
At 11:05 AM Anonymous said...

Nellie (McKay), Patsy (Kline), Macy (Gray)... hmmmm I think that's it for now fun stuff...

 
At 2:46 PM Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I like Kahlo! Different, and only the coolest of the cool would recognize what it means.

 

Post a Comment